Carrot turmeric ginger soup
I love this soup so much for it’s taste and nutrients! For me, soups and stews are the most perfect rainy day, winter foods. They are comforting, easy to make, and give you the perfect warmth on a cold day.
This particular soup is a favorite of mine because it has hints of spice from the ginger and black pepper, hints of sweetness from the carrots and plenty of nutrition from all three main ingredients! Very rarely have I had fresh turmeric root, usually I use the turmeric powder in all of my foods so this was a fun way to use fresh root and get a stronger flavor in. The depth it adds with the combination of carrot and ginger is just amazing!
Check out these amazing health benefits you get from eating the Carrot Turmeric Ginger soup! I love when I can eat a food that is delicious and nutritious for you!
Health Benefits of Ginger
The benefits of ginger are amazing! Many people know that ginger is a great aid in digestion and helps nausea, but did you know:
- Drinking ginger water can aid in weight loss
- Has powerful anti-diabetic properties
- Can help lower cholesterol levels
- Helps improve brain function
- Helps fight against infections
- Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric that triggers the anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative effects. Curcumin is not easily absorbed in the body and requires black pepper or cocoa powder to help the body absorb the curcumin to utilize the full effects of turmeric
- Curcumin is linked to improved brain function and lower risk of brain disease
- Curcumin also helps lower heart disease
How can I leave behind my Carrots?
- They’re good for your eyes (I think everyone knows this one!)
- High in antioxidants that help lower risk against cancer
- The potassium in carrots can help keep your blood pressure in check in turn helping your heart stay healthy
- High in fiber which aids in digestion
- High in Vit. C which helps boost your immune system
Ok, I know I’ve been going on and on about how healthy this soup is, but really, it is! And so flavorful with the combination of carrots, ginger, turmeric, and even some onions in there. The hint of cinnamon adds the ultimate warmth this soup can provide on a cold and bitter winter day!
So what are you waiting for?! Try it out and tell me what you think!
From my kitchen to yours, I hope you enjoy this delicious Carrot Turmeric Ginger Soup!
Carrot Turmeric Ginger Soup
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh turmeric, grated
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 c veggie broth
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Coconut cream to garnish
- Heat oil on medium high heat in a dutch oven or a heavy bottomed pot.
- Add onions and c ook 5-7 minutes until they are translucent.
- Add in the garlic, turmeric, and ginger and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in cinnamon, brown sugar, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to incorporate all of the spices.
- Add in the carrots and veggie broth. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer back to dutch oven. Add in a little more broth to thin out if needed.
- Serve hot!
Here are the tools that I used to make this recipe: