The first couple of days back to school reminded me of how I felt when I had my kids. I thought I was prepared but you never are. So this weekend, I’m working on some meal prepping and planning so that I can save time and focus on work and the girls’ school time. Continue reading “Meal Planning Ideas”
Summertime salads are one of my favorites to eat. They’re simple, light, filling, and don’t take much time in front of the stove or oven. I love this Rainbow Fajita Bowl because it is so easy to pull together and you can eat it as a dinner meal or prep it on the weekends for weekday lunches.
It’s vegan but if you’re looking to add in some chicken, super simple to do that too. I’ll include it in the notes below! You can marinate the chicken 30 minutes ahead or overnight but still get an amazing, tasty, juicy chicken too!
But on to my bowl. I just love the colors in this salad. And the fact that my girls ate it because of the rainbow foods (ok, well maybe they ate one leaf of salad but at least I got one in!). Drizzle with some chili lime dressing and you’re set! The spice, the crunch, the sweet corn… I think this salad bowl is calling my name for lunch again today!
Get your kids involved in this one. Once you have all the ingredients ready, have them help you assemble them for make ahead lunches for you and your kids!
From my kitchen to yours, enjoy this rainbow of colors and burst of flavor!
For the Dressing:
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 5 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (adjust to your spice level)
- 3/4 tsp salt
For the Fajita Seasoning:
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cumin powder
For the Fajita Bowl:
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 1" strips
- 1 yellow squash, sliced into 1" strips
- 1/2 purple onion, sliced into 1" strips
- 1 c canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c sweet corn
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 large tomato, cubed
- 2 c spinach, or any leafy green of your choice
- 3 tsp olive or avocado oil
For the dressing:
- Add all the ingredients into a mason jar. Seal it tight and shake well for 3 minutes. Set aside to use later.
For the Fajita Veggies:
- Mix all the seasonings together for the fajita.
- In a bowl, add the onions, zucchini, bell peppers, and yellow squash.
- Mix in 2 tsp oil, and 1 Tbsp of fajita seasoning mix.
- Toss veggies well so they are all coated with the seasoning and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a med sized skillet, heat the remaining 1 tsp oil on med flame.
- Add in the veggies and let cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring only a few times to ensure they don't stick to the pan but do get some char on the veggies.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Line a large bowl with 1 c of greens.
- Layer in the veggies, sweet corn, black beans, avocado, and tomatoes.
- Drizzle with chili lime dressing.
To add chicken, use the same fajita seasoning with 1 Tbsp oil. Mix together with chicken breast in a ziploc bag. Let marinate for 30 minutes or even overnight and grill over stove or bbq. Slice the chicken and add to the bowl.
Marinated Chicken can freeze up to 6 months to use at a later date.
© 2021 Copyright A Li\'l Bit of Spice