I was in need of bread to make sandwiches for lunch and decided I wanted to make my own loaves at home – at least I’ll know it’s healthier and what goes in it. Try it out and use it for sandwiches, toast with jam, bread crumbs, anything your mind asks you to create!
1/2 c warm water
2 packages dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 c warm milk (I use 2% but you can use buttermilk also – it adds a bit of a tang to the taste)
6 Tbsp melted and cooled unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
4 c all purpose flour (plus a little extra to knead and roll the dough)
1 tbsp Kosher salt
1 egg white
1. Place the water in an electric mixer bowl and add yeast and sugar. Mix with fingers lightly. Allow yeast and sugar to dissolve for 5 minutes.
2. Add milk, butter, and honey. Mix on medium speed until blended. Add egg yolks 1 at a time, 2 cups of flour and salt. Mix on low speed for 5 minutes. Add remaining 2 cups of flour and mix on medium speed until dough is not sticking to bowl. Knead on medium speed for 5-7 minutes.
3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for a minute. Grease a bowl with butter (or EVOO), add dough then turn over so all of the dough is slightly oiled/buttered. Cover the dough with a damp towel and allow to rise for 1 hour.
4. Grease two 9×5 loaf pans with butter (or EVOO). Divide dough (which should have risen beautifully by now) in half and roll into loaf shaped. Place each in greased pans and cover again with damp towel for another hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly whip the egg white and brush over each loaf. Place both loaves in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
6. Bread will be golden brown on top when ready. Remove from oven and turn over on cooling rack to remove from loaf pans. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.