A simple bundt cake that is moist, light, fluffy, and a little crunchy. Fresh ground pistachios in the cake with some more drizzled over the top of a beautiful sugar glaze, this Pistachio Pudding Bundt Cake is beautiful to look at and divine to eat.
Several years ago, my cousin Sagar would come over to cook with me in the afternoons. He and I would experiment with new and old recipes. On one such occasion, my aunt, Rekha Masi, his mom, sent over a few slices of pistachio cake. This was the first time I had ever had pistachio cake and boy was I hooked. I loved it because it is not too sweet, it’s perfectly moist, and I love the crunch of pistachios in each bite.
Ok, I know the name indicates pudding, but there is nothing pudding consistency about this cake. But it does help keep it beautifully moist and fluffy. And add a beautiful color and nutty flavor to it. Between the pudding and the cake mix, I love this recipe because it’s mostly putting ingredients together and baking a cake can’t get easier.
Here’s what you will need:
- Yellow Cake Mix
- Pistachio Pudding Mix
- Pistachios: I add extra in the batter and on top.
- Vanilla Extract
- Almond Extract: This enhances the nutty flavor which I love.
- Green food coloring: optional but if you are baking with kids, this is a fun step to add in, especially for St. Patrick’s Day
For the glaze, I choose to keep it traditional with a vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk glaze. In the past, I’ve omitted the glaze and we’ve eaten the cake on its own too. It tastes great both ways. If you are making this with younger kiddos, some green sprinkles would be a fun touch for them also.
This recipe is my tribute to my Masi’s pistachio cake. Each time I have it, it reminds me of the afternoons I spent in the kitchen with my cousin, joking around, having some intense conversations, and becoming closer as family.
Pistachio Pudding Bundt Cake
For the cake batter:
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 c water
- 1/2 c milk
- ¼ c oil ( I like to use olive)
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c shelled pistachios, ground
- 7 drops green food coloring (optional)
For the frosting:
- 2 c confectioner's sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 c shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then add in the water, oil, and milk and mix until well combined. Add in the pudding mix and the vanilla and almond extract and mix well.
- If you are choosing to add the food coloring, add it in at this point..
- Now add in the cake mix and mix well to combine all of the ingredients.
- Fold in the pistachios and mix gently.
- Transfer the batter to greased bundt cake pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk gently into a thick syrup consistency. Pour over the cake when it has completely cooled. Garnish with chopped pistachios.
Here are the tools I used to make this recipe:
One thought on “Pistachio Pudding Bundt Cake”
[…] Pistachio Pudding Bundt Cake A simple bundt cake that is moist, light, fluffy, and a little crunchy. Fresh ground pistachios in the cake with some more drizzled over the top of a beautiful sugar glaze, this Pistachio Pudding Bundt Cake is beautiful to look at and divine to eat. […]