A classic crowd favorite that is made from a combination of melted chocolate and almond butter then tossed in powdered sugar and mixed with M&M’s for the epic sweet snack.
The first time I heard about this snack, I was intrigued. The combination of chocolate and nut butter has always lured me. I decided to try this out because we’ve been doing a lot of outdoor activities and hiking lately. Using these Muddy Buddies as a snack to keep the kids going has actually been working great!
It takes 15 minutes to make this wonderful treat, and you can actually add in extras if you wanted. I chose to add in M&M’s. I love that they have holiday ones and picked up spring colored ones. I picked up red and pink ones for Valentine’s and holiday ones during December. Anyway, you get the idea. Here are a few other ingredients you can use to turn these Muddy Buddies into trail mix for hiking or a good snack for a road trip if you like:
- candy corn
- mini reese’s peanut butter cups
- mini oreo cookies
- crushed candy cane
- chia seeds
The possibilities are endless.
I’ve not only used these for snacks for my kids, but for parties and as gifts. Fill some canning jars, tie a ribbon around them with a pretty tag, and you have a beautiful and delicious homemade gift for friends, family, and teachers.
Classic Muddy Buddies
- 8 c Chex cereal
- 2 c raw almonds
- 1/2 c almond butter
- 1 c semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 c butter, unsalted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 c M&M's
- In a large saucepan, melt chocolate chips, almond butter, and butter over low to medium heath. Stir continuously.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add in the vanilla.
- Remove from heat and add in almond and chex mix.
- Mix to coat evenly.
- Pour cereal mixture into a 1 gallon ziptop bag and add powdered sugar. Seal and mix until cereal is fully coated.
- Evenly spread muddy buddies on a baking sheet and allow to cool completely. Once it's cooled, stir in the M&M's, and store in an airtight container.
Here are the tools I used for this recipe: