Mini Upside Down Spiced Peach Cakes
Sweet and juicy peaches combined with warm spices in this moist and tender cake is the perfect end to your summer dinner parties. Peach Season is upon us and these delicious upside down peach cakes are the perfect bite sized desserts for your party!
Whenever it is peach season during the summer, I tend to over buy fruits that are limited and that I’m addicted to. Mangoes, figs, peaches are just a few on that list. I love my fruit; raw and in its many infinite forms that I give them. Last year, I was campaigning Grilled Peach Salsa because grilled peaches are just a summertime necessity during a BBQ. Upcycling grilled peaches into a salsa was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made!
This year, I decided to move away from grilling and try something different. I took the original idea of upside down pineapple cake and changed it around (mostly because our pineapple ended up as fried rice!). But I also changed up the traditional upside down cake just a little. At the bottom of the cupcake tin, I placed butter cubes and some brown sugar to give it a caramelized flavor then I lined the peach slices on the sides to keep their integrity of a peach and still be part of this upside down cake.
Every single bite has a juicy peach flavor because there are chunks of peaches hidden in the cake! And for the best peaches, head to your local farmer’s market. I bet you will be able to find fresh, organic, and juicy peaches. I’ll use the ones from the store if I miss the market but they tend to be underripe and I have to wait a few days to make sure they are perfectly ripe for me to eat or even use in recipes.
Many people are unsure of the skin – should you keep it on or peel it off? I prefer to keep the skin on. It doesn’t change the flavor or the integrity of the peaches but you do get to keep all of the fiber that the skin gives.
I hope you enjoy these delicious Mini Upside Down Spiced Peach Cakes as much as we did!
Mini Upside Down Spiced Peach Cakes
- 2 fresh peaches, 1 sliced thinly and 1 chopped into chunks
- 200 gm All Purpose flour
- 130 gm sugar
- 125 gm yogurt, plain
- 1/3 c unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp cold butter, chopped into 12 pieces
- 1 large egg
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place each butter piece in 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle a little brown sugar into each muffin cup.
- Arrange about 3-4 slices of peach onto the side or bottom of each muffin pan.
For the Cake Batter:
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat it for another 2-3 minutes, or until well combined.
- Stir in the yogurt and beat for another minute.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until combined.
- Fold in the cubed peaches.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffin pan cups.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Place a wire rack over the muffin pan and carefully turn the pan upside down to remove the cakes.
- Cakes taste delicious served warm with a side of vanilla ice cream or on its own once completely cooled.
Looking for more delicious recipes? Check out these:
Grilled Pineapple Peach Salsa
Grilled Avocado and Peach Salad
Fig and Pistachio Tartlets
Mango Coconut Panna Cotta Tart
Thandai Infused Rainbow Crème Brûlée (Vegan)
Here are the tools I used for this recipe: