A perfect combination of fall flavors, this salad is perfect for lunch or as a side for dinner. Roasted beets and butternut squash are served over peppery arugula, tangy feta cheese, earthy walnuts, sweet pomegranate arils. Tossed in a maple dressing that is easy to make and shake, this beautiful salad is gluten free and nutrient dense!
Whenever I am planning a menu, one the first things I think of are salads. For me, they seem to be a staple with meals. As I think of Thanksgiving and the holidays approaching, so many dinner parties to attend or plan, salads are on the top of my list. They are easy to take to a dinner party, or add to your menu. I love eating them for lunch to balance out the rich holiday foods around me.
HERE IS WHAT I USED FOR THIS SALAD:
- Arugula – filled with fiber, protein, iron, and Vitamins C and K
- Beets – a great source of fiber, folate, manganese, potassium, iron, and Vitamin C. Helps against cardiovascular disease, and has anticancer properties.
- Butternut Squash – provides fiber, Vitamins A and C, calcium, iron, phosphorous, and copper.
- Walnuts – rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids, copper, folic acid, phosphorous, manganese, and Vitamins B6 and E.
- Feta Cheese – low in calories and fat, it is rich in protein, Vitamins A and K, folate, pantothenic acid, iron, and magnesium.
- Pomegranate Arils – are known as a superfood, it is jam packed with nutrients, especially fiber, protein, Vitamins C and K, folate, and potassium. Pomegranates have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that help against heart disease, diabetes, and even some cancers.
This salad is simple, colorful, and nutrient packed. I love it because it forces you to take a look at it with all the other dishes on the Thanksgiving or holiday table.
Looking for more salad recipes? Check out some of my favorites:
Cranberry Apple Quinoa Salad
Quinoa Fiesta Salad
Butternut Squash and Lentil Salad