The sun is finally coming out, we are able to see friends and family after a long time, and I am ready to share apps around the table as I catch up with my loved ones. Nothing says fun in the sun with loved ones like bruschetta. Fresh tomatoes mixed with garlic, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and parmigiano reggiano served on garlic rubbed Italian bread. Yep. Count me in!
Growing up, I would order bruschetta every time we ate out at an Italian restaurant. It still is one of my favorite appetizers. I can name so many members of my family that also love it just as much as I do. There was even a time when bruschetta was a given at any family gathering. And rightly so.
Just a few ingredients that makes this recipe absolutely divine.
- Tomatoes – crisp, juicy, sweet, red tomatoes are a must. Try to avoid mushy and soft tomatoes as you’ll end up with more liquid and the chopped tomatoes won’t hold their shape.
- Garlic – chopped in the bruschetta mix but I also use whole cloves to rub toasted bread to give it that extra zing in flavor
- Basil – this sweet peppery herb adds the perfect burst of earthiness
- Parmigiano reggiano – The earthy, sharp, nutty flavor is the perfect flavor to bring all of the different ingredients together
- Balsamic Vinegar – this is my surprise ingredient that takes this bruschetta up a notch. Each bite there’s just a hint of the tart, fruity liquid that makes you want to keep eating it.
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Italian Bread – toast these up a little then rub a fresh clove of garlic over it as they come out of the oven.
From my kitchen to yours, I hope you enjoy this recipe!