**Original post published Nov. 2020. Updated Aug. 2021**
A couple of months ago, I won our local Farmer’s Market cooking competition and part of my prize was a big box of fresh goodies from the market. I don’t know if I’ve ever been so excited to get fresh veggies and fruits! I honestly felt like a contestant on Chopped from The Food Network in that I wanted to use all of my produce and come up with a delicious dish.
Well, considering there were so much produce, I’m not sure I would be able to eat more than 3 bites of any dish made from all of the veggies and fruits! One of my favorites in that box was the beet greens with their beautiful red stems. I’ve had quite a few people ask me what I use them for and what they can cook out of them. A definite go to are to cook them down like collard greens but I wanted to do something more creative and decided to add the beet greens to a hash and topping it with an egg made it the perfect breakfast for a busy day or a big, healthy lunch bowl.
The vibrant orange and red colors of the root veggies as they are being cooked, the bold green of the beets…..eeek! I’m salivating just thinking about this recipe. The best part is all the nutrition you get in this sustainable hash:
- high in dietary fiber
- high in folate
- good source of potassium
- good source of non-dairy calcium (the beet greens are)
- great source of B-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin (these flavonoids have strong anti-cancer and antioxidant properties)
Topping this hash with a fried or hard boiled egg adds a little extra protein though to keep it vegetarian/vegan, you can always replace the egg with a grilled tofu steak.
From my kitchen to yours, enjoy this delicious and healthy Sweet Potato and Beet Hash!
Sweet Potato and Beet Hash with Fried Eggs
- 2 beet, peeled and diced small
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch beet greens with stems, chopped
- 4 eggs, fried or hard boiled
- 2 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 2 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp Avocado or Olive Oil, divided
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet on medium high flame.
- Add in the beets, sweet potato, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper and cook about 10-15 minutes until browned and crispy. If it is still mostly raw at the 10 minute mark, cover and let it cook in the steam for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the veggies from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining 1 Tbsp oil and let it heat up.
- Add in the onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the beet greens and stems and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until it is just starting to wilt. Add in the veggies, and mix well.
- Let the hash crisp up then remove from pan and divide between 4 plates. Top with your choice of egg and serve hot!
9 thoughts on “Sweet Potato and Beet Hash with Fried Eggs”
[…] easy to make and definitely easy to eat. Looking for more Beet recipes? Check out some of these: Sweet Potato and Beet Hash with Fried Eggs Vegan Poke Bowl Farmer’s Market Crudites Platter with Hummus Two […]
Wonderful way to incorporate beet greens! I made it with golden beets and purple potatoes… such a creative hash! A keeper for sure!
Rating: 5 / 5
Rating: 5 / 5
Just made this again today for lunch!!! Love, love, love!!!!
[…] Sweet Potato and Beet Hash with Fried Eggs A delicious, nutrient dense brunch dish that will become of one your favorites right away. Easy to make it vegan by omitting the egg, this recipe is also sustainable using the beet greens along with spinach for the base of the hash. […]
[…] Sweet Potato and Beet Hash with Fried Eggs — A Li’l Bit of Spice […]
Looks good &healthy
I am OBSESSED with this recipe! Absolutely love it!
It looks yummy. It is very healthy too.