The weather is still pretty warm out but I am mentally ready for fall! Especially with all the delicious veggies at the Farmer’s Market that are coming out for the season. The pomegranates, Brussels sprouts, root vegetables and especially all the squash and pumpkins I’m seeing everywhere! They’re all so beautiful, colorful and oh so yummy!
I was inspired during my last visit to the Farmer’s Market for this recipe. I used acorn squash because it is mild in flavor and one of the easiest squash to peel and cut. The beets added beautiful color and flavor (and lots of nutrition!), and crispy brussels sprouts once roasted are the perfect addition for texture in this bowl.
Here are a few other ingredients I used though, I definitely didn’t roast them:
- Red Pears
- Toasted Pecans
As for the dressing, I debated whether to add one or not but in the end, I decided a simple squeeze of lime would do justice without taking away from the other flavors.
I was so excited just roasting the veggies because they looked so bright, bold and beautiful! The spice that I added to balance the sweet of the beets and pears out was smoky chipotle pepper to the veggies that I roasted.
This is one dish that I think is going to come up often on our table through this season! Make a big batch for a holiday dinner side, a small batch for a lunch or make it a meal for a weeknight! It’s simple, healthy, delicious, and you get to eat many of your colors!
Here are some of the health benefits from this yummy bowl:
- Low Carb
- High in Fiber
- High in Protein
- Vitamins K, C, A, and B-6
- Good Source of Iron
- Good Source of Folate
Well! What are you waiting for? You have got to try this out!
From my kitchen to yours, I hope you enjoy this delicious Sweet and Spicy Harvest Bowl!
Sweet & Spicy Harvest Bowl
- 2 c Acorn Squash, peeled, deseeded, cubed
- 1 large Beet, peeled, cubed
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 1 Avocado, cubed
- 1 Red Pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c crumbled Feta
- 1/4 c toasted pecans
- 1/2 c quinoa
- 1 lime, quartered into wedges
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper*
- 1 Tbsp Avocado or Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat, parchment paper or aluminum foil
- In a bowl, add oil, 1 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper, and chipotle pepper. Mix well
- Add in the squash, beets and brussels sprouts. Toss well to coat all the veggies evenly
- Add the veggies to the baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes
- Meanwhile, thoroughly rinse the quinoa to remove the saporins
- In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil 1 c water and add rinsed quinoa and 1/2 tsp salt
- Let it cook for 10-12 minutes or until all the water has burned off. Remove from heat and cover for 5 minutes. When ready to use, remove cover and fluff with a fork.
- Add the roasted veggies, quinoa, avocado, toasted pecans, feta, and pears to a bowl.
- Serve hot with a lime wedge!
*Adjust the amount of chipotle pepper according to spice level
3 thoughts on “Sweet & Spicy Harvest Bowl”
Great looking healthy dish. Thanks for posting it.
Mmmmmm! Can’t wait to give this a try!
Healthy and delicious.