Apple Pie Bread
A little variation on banana bread, I added in some sweet apples, lots of cinnamon (as requested by my little ones), just a hint of nutmeg, and a streusel topping to finish it off is the perfect afternoon snack. (Spoiler Alert: It doesn’t last more than a day – maybe two – in our house. It flies so quickly!)
I first made this loaf to take as a treat with me when I took the girls hiking last month. We did almost 4 miles with quite an uphill so I was proud of my littles ones who not only trekked without a single complaint, they also put up with me while I took pics of them with cows in the background as they thought their Mom was crazy!
Let me get back on track though and tell you a little more about this delicious loaf! The base recipe is similar to that of a banana bread but I wanted it a little more moist to balance the addition of spices so I added in a bit of yogurt. The sweetness of ripe bananas and the warm spices to give a hint of apple pie is so amazing of a combination. Who says you can only have apple pie in the fall?!
This recipe makes enough for two large loaves or 4 minis. I’ve made both depending on what occasion I’m using these. I love the minis for gifts or travel (the hike was a perfect example) and the large loaves I’ll use to pack in lunches, give as an afternoon snack, or even with breakfast on the weekends.
Here are a few other loaves to check out:
Spiced Pear Loaf
Lemon Blueberry Mini Loaves
Can you tell we love fruity loaves in this house?!
From my kitchen to yours, I hope you enjoy eating this Apple Pie Bread.
Apple Pie Bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c yogurt, plain and nonfat
- 1/2 c oil (vegetable or olive)
- 1 c ripe bananas, mashed (2 large or 3 medium sized)
- 1 c peeled & diced apple (about 1 small apple)
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c AP flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Streusel Topping
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray two 9x5 loaf pans with non-stick baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt and oil until completely emulsified. Add mashed bananas, sugars and vanilla and stir until well combined.
- In a smaller bowl combine dry ingredients and whisk until well incorporated.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in apples.
- Pour half the batter into each baking pan.
- Combine streusel ingredients and stir until mixture is uniform and crumbly. Sprinkle half streusel mix over each loaf.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes. Check with a toothpick in the center of the loaf to see if it comes out dry.
- Remove from oven and let cool in bread pans for about 10 minutes. Overturn onto a cooling rack to cool fully.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temp on your counter for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
**To make the mini loaves, reduce baking time by 25% or bake for 40-45 minutes.