Updated Jan 4, 2020 from the original post published Sept, 2015.
Chicken pot pie is a family favorite in this household. My kids have been asking for this almost biweekly for the past couple of months. It makes me so happy that they would love eating my pot pie (though I secretly think it’s mostly because the name has “pie” in it). I have included in the recipe notes to make this recipe vegetarian and vegan so try it out and let me know what you think!
A hack that I have been known to use on occasion is buying rotisserie chicken, shredding it up and using that instead of baking my own. This simply cuts down on the time involved to make the pot pie. If you choose to go this route, remember to buy an herb roasted or seasoned chicken so that there is added flavor. You can also make these in individual ramekins to personalize them by adding chicken to those who want it and keeping it vegetarian for those who prefer not.
Making chicken pot pie on a busy weeknight may not be ideal but it you can totally make and assemble the pie over the weekend and simply bake it during any weeknight. Storage is easy as it can last in the fridge up to 5 days. So what are you waiting for? Make this your next meal and feel the comfort of home!
From my kitchen to yours, I hope you enjoy this delicious Chicken Pot Pie!
1 hour, 5 minutes
1 hour, 20 minutes
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 c carrots, diced
- 1 c celery, diced
- 1 c frozen peas
- 1/2 c diced onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 5 c veggie broth
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce (per your preference)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp milk for milk wash
For the Chicken:
- Preheat Oven to 400°F. Season boneless, skinless chicken with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper on both sides. Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- When it's done cooking, remove from oven and let it rest for a couple of minutes then shred it with a fork.
For the Veggie filling:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a nonstick pot, heat the oil. Then add in the onions, garlic, peas, carrots, and celery.
- Mix well and saute for about 3-5 minutes until the onions turn translucent.
- Add in the flour and mix well. Let it cook for about 5 minutes so the flour is not raw.
- Add in the veggie broth, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, turmeric, thyme and hot sauce.
- Lower the heat just a little bit and cook until the mixture thickens.
- When the mixture is thickened, remove from heat and add in shredded chicken. Mix well.
- Layer the bottom crust into pie pan and pat down firmly.
- Spoon in the filling with a little mound in the middle.
- Cover with top pie crust and seal the edges.
- Using a pastry brush, paint the with the milk over the top and seams.
- Make several small slits at the top to allow steam to release.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
To make it Vegetarian: Omit the chicken and continue with the rest of the recipe as follows.
To make it Vegan: Omit the chicken, use vegan pie crust, and replace milk wash with either water or simply omit.
© 2021 Copyright A Li\'l Bit of Spice
Here are the tools I used to make this recipe: