Jump to recipe
*Updated Oct. 16, 2020
Sundays in our house are dedicated to football. Now that the season has started, I’m challenging myself to find some healthier recipes to get us through the games. Sure the chicken wings, nachos, creamy dips, and pizza sound good but they definitely don’t pass the healthy test. This is a hearty chili loaded with veggies, beans and definitely falls into the comfort zone. It makes you want to curl up on the sofa with a warm bowl while you’re watching football (or a movie or your favorite tv show).
The heat of the ancho chili and cayenne give this a perfect balance to some of the sweeter veggies like the carrots and bell peppers. Using the canned beans also take a lot of the work out of this dish for you and I’ve included both stove top and slow cooker versions so you can make it any way that is easiest and most convenient.
Add a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of spring onions to finish off this chili before eating with a side of cornbread. Nothing can beat this delicious chili on a cold winter day. I’d like to say, I’m definitely ready for this winter season!
I’ve made this chili vegan and it can remain so with toppings such as spring onions, cilantro, avocado and lime wedges.
Optional to add are toppings such as sour cream and cheese. They will definitely soften up the taste if you choose these!
From my kitchen to yours, I hope this 3 Bean Chili brings a little warmth to your day!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 green serrano peppers, diced
- 1 c colored bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 c celery, diced
- 1 c frozen corn
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 14oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida, (hing)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp ancho chili pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 c water
- Lime Wedges
- Spring Onions
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat up some olive oil. Add the serrano peppers, and the asafoetida. Let the peppers cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add onions, bell peppers and celery. Saute for 5 min or until the onions turn translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the corn and chopped tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 min.
- When you notice the water separating from the veggies, add in the kidney beans, black beans, garbanzo beans and water. Mix well.
- Finally, add in the coriander powder, salt, black pepper, ancho chili pepper and cayenne pepper, and mix well.
- Add in the water and simmer for 20 minutes on med-low heat. Stir occasionally to blend all the flavors.
For Slow Cooker:
- Follow the above instructions and set slow cooker settings to low for 4-5 hours. If you feel the consistency is too thick, add a little water to thin it out.
- Serve hot with toppings of your choice and a side of corn bread!
© 2021 Copyright A Li\'l Bit of Spice
I’ve made this both on the stove top and in the slow cooker. Here is the equipment I used to make the chili: