Tortilla Soup is one of my favorite soups. Especially this instant pot recipe which takes only 4 minutes to cook! It’s filled with delicious veggies and spices like ancho chile and chipotle powder to build a good depth of flavor. Perfect for a hectic weeknight or a cold day, this tortilla soup is a great way to use up pantry essentials.
Made from scratch, this tortilla soup cuts down your time to less than 15 minutes for a meal (including prep time)! It can’t get any better than that. I used to make this soup over the stove until my cousin Sweetu showed me how easy it is to make it in an instant pot! You have got to try this for a weeknight time save!
A mix of spicy, crunchy, and creamy, this wholesome soup has it all. It’s so nutritious and so easy to eat!
If you don’t have an instant pot, check out the link below to the one I use. If you don’t want to use an instant pot, I’m including instructions for stovetop and slow cooker. Honestly, regardless of how you make it, this recipe is so easy to pull together, you can’t make it a wrong way!
From my kitchen to yours, I hope you enjoy this delicious Tortilla Soup.
I made this soup in a 6 quart instant pot. You can double the recipe but make sure the liquid doesn’t reach past the max fill line.
You can add 1 cup of shredded rotisserie chicken to add more meat and protein to this dish. The rest of the ingredients can remain the same.
If you don’t have fresh or frozen corn, canned works well. Make sure to drain and rinse it.
The toppings are what pull this soup together. I highly recommend having the avocados, tortilla strips, and jalapeños.
Tortilla chips are easy to make (recipe below) however if you don’t have the time or simply don’t want to, use tortilla chips for the crunch instead!
Slow Cooker instructions: Follow the recipe below and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Stove Top instructions: Use a dutch oven and follow the recipe below and bring broth to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
Instant Pot Tortilla Soup
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, chopped
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c fresh or frozen corn
2 ½c low sodium vegetable broth
½ c water
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp ancho chile powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp Avo Oil or EVOO
1 avocado, cubed
1-2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 lime, quartered
1 9″ tortilla
1. Set oven to preheat at 350ºF. Place chips on a lined baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake for 5-7 minutes until crisp and golden red in color.
1. Set instant pot to sauté mode. Heat oil. Add in onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds so it blooms without burning.
3. Add in the bell peppers, celery, carrots, and jalapeños. Give it a quick mix.
4. Add in the tomatoes, black beans, corn, spices, broth and water. Mix it well.
5. Turn off instant pot, close the lid and set pressure valve to sealing position. Set to manual or pressure cook mode for 4 minutes.
6. Once the cycle is complete, let it have an NPR (natural pressure release) for 10 minutes. Release the remaining pressure by changing the valve to vent position.
7. Open instant pot and serve hot!
Ladle hot soup into a bowl, top with tortilla chips, avocado cubes, cilantro, lime and sliced jalapeños.
2 thoughts on “Instant Pot Tortilla Soup”
Great recipe for Instant pot. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Ooooh! Sounds fabulous! Thank you for the variations in the slow cooker and stovetop!