Looking for a healthy way to get protein without compromising flavor? Well, you’ve come to the right place. This Vegan Protein Bowl has hints of spicy, tangy, herby, and definitely brings a Middle Eastern vibe in each bite!
Simple to make and ready in just 30 minutes, you have got to try this delicious bowl. So let me tell you a little bit about the ingredients I chose. For my grain, I used quinoa because it packs more of a protein punch but you can definitely use any other grain. Bulgur or Farro would be excellent substitutes to keep in line with the Middle Eastern food theme.
For added protein and crunch, I used garbanzo beans. I love snacking on these so I actually made double the amount and the girls ended up eating most of them!
As to the veggies, I used a few different ones as I wanted to get the colors in. To give it some warmth, I roasted the cauliflower with the garbanzos and to keep a cool factor, I made a salad of tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers, and fresh herbs.
So it’s not just what ingredients I use but how much nutrition this delicious bowl provides. In addition to almost 20 gm of protein, you are also getting:
- Half of your daily recommended intake (DRI) of Fiber
- 40% of DRI Iron
- More than the recommended intake of Folic Acid
- Meeting at least 20-50% of most of your Vitamins and Minerals DRI
The best part of making this recipe is that even though there are several different steps and techniques, you can multitask and get them all done at once without chaos in the kitchen! Roast your veggies, while your quinoa cooks and you are making the Avocado Salsa! So simple and easy!
Last but not least, I added a hummus dressing to pull it altogether. I love making my own dressings and there is no way I would leave one out of a bowl this delicious. And to be honest, I really think the hummus dressing really marries all the flavors together so perfectly. So what are you waiting for?! Try this recipe out and let me know what you think. Leave a comment below, give it a star rating, or tag me on Facebook or Instagram!
From my kitchen to yours, I really hope you enjoy this delicious Middle Eastern Vegan Protein Bowl!
Middle Eastern Vegan Protein Bowl
- 1 c quinoa, rinsed
- 2 c water
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 c cauliflower florets
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 c fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 c fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, half juiced and the other half cut in wedges
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
For the Hummus dressing:
- 1/2 c garlic hummus
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make your spice blend by combining cumin, paprika, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, turmeric, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and ginger in a bowl. Mix well to make sure all the spices are well incorporated. Set Aside.
- In a bowl, add cauliflower, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil and half of the spice blend. Toss well to make sure all of the florets are coated evenly. Transfer to one side of a baking sheet lined with a silicone mate or parchment paper.
- In the same bowl, add the garbanzo beans, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, and the remaining half of the spice blend. Toss well to make sure all of the beans are coated evenly. Transfer to the other side of the same baking sheet used for the cauliflower. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized saucepan, combine the water, 1/2 tsp salt, and rinsed quinoa. Bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat to medium high and cook for 15 minutes or until the water has evaporated. Remove from heat and cover to steam.
- While the quinoa is cooking, in a bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, red onions, parsley, and mint. Add to this the remaining 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil, juice of half a lemon, the remaining 1 tsp salt, and remaining 1 tsp black pepper. Toss well to combine. Set aside.
- For the hummus dressing, in an air tight jar, combine the hummus, dijon mustard, lemon juice and water. Seal the lid and shake vigorously to combine. If you prefer a thinner dressing, add water 1 Tbsp at a time and shake until you have your desired consistency.
- Divide the quinoa evenly into 4 bowls. Add about 1 cup of the avocado salsa, 1/4 of the cauliflower and 1/4 of the garbanzos in each bowl. Top off with the hummus dressing.
- Serve warm!
4 thoughts on “Middle Eastern Vegan Protein Bowl”
[…] Middle Eastern Vegan Protein Bowl Simple to make and ready in just 30 minutes, this Middle Eastern Vegan Protein Bowl has everything to make your belly happy! Hint of tangy, spicy, herby, crunchy, and creamy, I love every bite I take! Filled with almost 20gm protein, 50% of your daily recommended fiber, and 40% of daily recommended iron, it is one of the most nutrient dense meals out there! Side benefit, you get 4 different colors of veggies in 1 meal! […]
Cant wait to try this one! Looks amazing!
I hope you enjoy it!
This looks so good. I got to try this. Thanks Sapna