I’m all about summer and summer foods these days. This Pineapple Fried Rice is the perfect balance between sweet, spicy, crunchy, soft, and a burst of flavors. Best of all, it takes 20 minutes to make! A fun weeknight recipe, or a weekend recipe with some Thai Curry on the side. Go ahead, try this out and bring a taste of Thailand to your home.
The first time I had Pineapple Fried Rice was on a trip to Glacier National Park. We went to this place called Thai Palace Restaurant which has the most amazing Thai food that I have ever tried. For years, I have dreamed of that pineapple fried rice and wished I could go back to Montana. Since I can’t do that every time I want to eat fried rice, the next best thing is to bring Thai Palace to me.
After trying many different times, I’ve finally been able to replicate the taste and relive the memory of my most craved Pineapple Fried Rice. This is the perfect summer recipe with a hint of sweet, some toasty cashews, and packed with a rainbow of veggies, you can’t go wrong.
From my kitchen to yours, enjoy this little trip to Thailand.
1 Pineapple, only 1 cup chopped pineapple needed (eat the rest!)
1 cup cooked rice, leftover rice from day before is best
1 med onion, chopped
1 cup frozen peas and carrots (fresh works well also)
1/2 cup red bell peppers, chopped
1/2 cup broccoli, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup, raw unsalted cashews
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 green onions, cut into rings
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1. Slice 1/3 of pineapple off, and scoop out pineapple from the center to create a pineapple bowl.
2. Chop pineapple into medium cubes.
3. In a large pan, heat oil and roast cashews until they have a dark golden red color to it. Take out cashews and set aside in a bowl.
4. In the same pan, add onions and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Then add in garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
5. Add in soy sauce, turmeric and curry powder and mix well.
6. Now add in the peas/carrots, bell peppers, cauliflower, and broccoli. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
7. Add in the rice and season with salt and pepper and mix well.
8. Mix in the toasted cashews and pineapple and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
Transfer Pineapple Fried Rice to the pineapple bowl. Garnish with green onions and cilantro.