A simple classic, this slow Roasted Tomato Soup is rich, creamy, and comforting. Made with roasted fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, and fresh basil, this tomato soup is full of flavor. Get your grilled cheese ready because this recipe will have you praying for a rainy day and savoring every element of the season.
With almost every day of the new year filled with rain and gloom, all I can think of are soups and stews most days. At this point, I think I’ve tried most of them. And I think I’m done with this rain too! But I can’t get the rain get away without having one of my favorite classics… Tomato Soup! Usually, that means opening a tin and doctoring up the can of tomato soup that I got from the grocery store. Not this time.
Recently, I’ve discovered the art of roasting tomatoes. Oh how delicious they taste when you do roast them! If you haven’t tried this, you must! I’ve a few recipes that actually use roasted tomatoes in different forms. You should check them out.
Pesto Risotto with Roasted Tomatoes and Chickpeas
Roasted Rainbow Veggies
Anyways, back to the topic. To the pan, I added garlic, because who doesn’t love roasted garlic? And onions and basil. I know you’re thinking, basil? To the baking dish? Trust me, it works. Slow roast this then blitz it up in a blender and simmer on low heat. It can’t get easier than this.
You don’t have to stop there. I did because I wanted simple. But you can add toppings or make it creamy without the cream. Here’s how:
- Add a Parmesan rind to the soup when you are simmering it. This will add a little cream and give it a cheesier taste.
- Red Chili Flakes
- Drizzle Olive Oil or Cream
- Serve with Olive Bread or make your Grilled Cheese with Olive Bread like I did
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 lb ripe tomatoes, halved (about 4-5 large tomatoes)
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 head garlic top cut off or 10-12 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 c basil
- 3 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 c vegetable broth
- Parmesan rind* (Optional)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a baking dish place, all of the ingredients except the vegetable broth.
- Roast for 45 minutes until the tomatoes have blistered and all of the veggies has a nice char. There should be an abundance of juices in the baking dish.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully squeeze the bottom of the garlic to release the cloves.
- Transfer to a blender and add the vegetable brother.
- Blend on low speed gradually increasing to a medium speed until you have a creamy consistency.
- Transfer to a stock pot and simmer on low heat. Add in the parmesan rind at this point if you are using. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Top with salt and cracked pepper and serve with a grilled cheese sandwich.
One thought on “Roasted Tomato Soup”
[…] Roasted Tomato Soup — A Li’l Bit of Spice […]