A delicious and nutritious Roasted Vegetable Barley Bowl filled with barley, arugula, hummus, a variety of veggies including asparagus and blistered tomatoes, all topped with a sprinkle of chili flakes for just a little heat. It’s perfect for a weeknight meal.
I became a fan of barley a couple of years ago and I can’t believe I was missing out! It is such an amazing grain! I first learned how to cook with barley at a cooking school in Napa and it actually was not to bad. Honestly, as easy as rice. As long as I left it alone and didn’t mess with it like my teacher kept saying. Oops.
Anyways, I love that it is rich in fiber and nutrient dense. Combined with the roasted veggies, and hummus on the side, this bowl is a power packed meal that is hard to beat.
I don’t use a dressing for this bowl because adding the hummus on as soon as I add the hot veggies to the bowl, it melts the hummus into a dressing and coats every ingredient wonderfully.
Roasted Vegetables Barley Bowl
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 sprigs Rosemary
- 1 c pearl barley
- 4 c veggie broth
- 1 lb asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 1 c cherry tomatoes
- 1 c cauliflower florets
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp EVOO, divided
- 4 cups Arugula
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Add the asparagus, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, squash, and bell pepper.
- Drizzle about 1 Tbsp EVOO and season with 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes.
For the Barley:
- In a medium pot, heat 1 Tbsp EVOO. Add onions and cook until they are browned. Add in the barley and cook until it’s golden red in color. Add in the garlic, rosemary, broth, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Mix well and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, cover and cook on medium heat for 20-25 minutes. Turn off the heat and pick out the rosemary stems. Cover and let it sit in steam for 5 minutes.
- Divide the arugula into 4 bowls.
- Add the barley into each bowl.
- Then add in the veggies to each bowl.
- Finally add in hummus and sprinkle chili flakes on top.
- Serve hot.
One thought on “Roasted Vegetables Barley Bowl”
[…] Roasted Vegetables Barley Bowl — A Li’l Bit of Spice […]