Enchiladas are one of my favorite Mexican meals. What I don’t love is the amount of work and clean up goes into making a good batch of enchiladas. Making the filling, rolling the enchiladas, and the baking sometimes feels like too much work. And I don’t always have an hour or more to dedicate on a weeknight when I am craving enchiladas. Let’s be honest… I don’t think anyone does.
These Skinny Skillet Veggie Enchiladas satisfy my cravings for enchiladas without the fuss. I can make them in less than 30 minutes (yep!) and the only dishes I have to clean are my chopping board and skillet! Literally made it super easy!
You can work ahead for these and have the veggies chopped up to save time but really, it’s not that time consuming. Speaking of veggies, of course I added a rainbow of them. Yellow squash, green zucchini, red bell peppers, purple onions, corn, and poblano peppers!
If you want to add meat, a quick shortcut is to add in shredded rotisserie chicken. Cut down the amount of beans by half or increase the amount of enchilada sauce by another 1/4 cup to avoid having a dry dish.
Make sure you are using an oven safe skillet. Here is the one I like to use. You only need to pop the skillet in the oven for 5 minutes so the cheese can melt and get a golden color.
For spices, I used smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, chipotle powder and a little ancho chili powder. I know it seems like a lot, but a little of all of them really helps create a depth of flavor.
Serve it with some Mango Pico and Guacamole to add the finishing touches.
From my kitchen to yours, enjoy this delicious meal!
Skinny Skillet Veggie Enchiladas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c fresh or frozen corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 2 tsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 c red enchilada sauce
- 3 flour tortillas, cut into 1-2" thick strips
- 1 c Mexican blend cheese
- 2 green onion stalks, green part only (save the white bulbs for another recipe), chopped
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450ºF
- On medium flame, heat an oven proof skillet and add oil to the skillet
- Add in the poblano peppers, and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic and roast an additional 30 seconds
- Add in the squash, zucchini, and bell peppers and saute for an additional 3 minutes until they are tender
- Add in the spices, beans, and corn and mix well
- Stir in the enchilada sauce
- Toss in the tortillas to cover the skillet evenly, and with a spatula, gently press into the mixture to cover with enchilada sauce. Don't mix it in, you just want it coated with the sauce so it doesn't dry out
- Turn off heat and sprinkle cheese evenly over the top
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown on top
- Remove from oven and let cool for minutes before serving
- Garnish with green onions and lime and serve hot
10 thoughts on “Skinny Skillet Veggie Enchiladas”
[…] skillet recipes? Check out some of my favorites: Sweet Potato, Black Bean, and Brown Rice Skillet Skinny Skillet Veggie Enchiladas How to clean your Cast Iron […]
[…] for more easy weeknight dinner ideas? Check out some of my go tos: Skinny Skillet Veggie Enchiladas Tandoori Gobi (Cauliflower) Zucchini Boats Easy Chicken Ramen with GF Noodles Crispy Black Bean […]
[…] Skinny Skillet Veggie Enchiladas […]
[…] made zucchini boats a few times so far. Each time has been to use up leftovers from our Skinny Skillet Enchilada the previous night. They turn out really good and Sanaya loves them but it’s the same […]
We enjoyed this recipe for dinner tonight and wow! We LOVED it! Easy and packed with flavor. We added chicken and it was great! This will definitely be on the menu rotation for sure!
I’m so glad you guys enjoyed the enchiladas! Our family loves them too!
On my list for next week!
I am vegetarian so it’s nice to know how to make vegetarian enchiladas.thanks Sapna.👌👌
One of favorite. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Looks so yummy
That looks amazing. I’m adding that to my “to do” list!