When Sanaya, my eldest, was about 3 years old, we had gone to Pankaj’s cousin’s house for a play date. Sanaya and her cousin Aarya are besties. They’re only 2 months apart in age and our families have gone through the journey of parenting together since we were pregnant.
Anyways, this story is from a time when Sanaya was very picky about food, especially Indian food. Though I feel like in her short life, she’s either been picky or a proper foodie. Kids!
My sister-in-law, Aarya’s mother had made a black eyed peas curry. I remember growing up my mom making this often so I got excited but nervous also. Will Saanu eat it? Will she like it? I’m hoping she likes it because I’m really trying to get the girls to have an appreciation for Indian food.
Surprisingly, and luckily, she loved it and for once, ate most of her food without a fuss. I felt like I found a magical key. Since then, this is one recipe I make often for the girls, especially when I’m in a pinch as it takes less than 30 minutes to make.
These black eyed peas are perfect for a weeknight meal. Not only are they delicious and quick to make, they are also rich in fiber, protein and non-dairy calcium.
I soak them at the beginning of meal prep. If you don’t want to soak them, simply increase the cook time from 12 minutes to 20.
You can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
For Stovetop: Soak black eyed peas for at least 1 hour. Then boil them in 4 cups of water for 45 minutes. Drain and add to spices as indicated in step 5. Add only 1 c water and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
For Slow Cooker: Follow directions below and cook on low for 6 hours.
From my kitchen to yours, I hope you enjoy this Dal (Lentil)!
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Curry
1 c dried black eyed peas, soaked
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1″ ginger knob, grated
1 bay leaf
1 tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp turmeric
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
2 c water for cooking
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp hing (asafoetida)
1. Set Instant pot to saute mode. Add oil and let heat.
2. Add cumin seeds and hing.
3. When the cumin seeds start to splutter, add in onions, ginger and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes, until the onions are tender and translucent.
4. Add in the tomatoes and spices and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the oil starts separating from the tomatoes.
5. Drain the water from the black eyed peas and add to the instant pot. Add the 2 c water and mix well.
6. Cover instant pot and set vent to sealing postion.
7. Change setting to manual/pressure cook mode and set timer for 12 minutes.
8. When the timer goes off, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure.
9. Add lemon juice and give a quick stir before serving.
Serve with Naan or Rice.
One thought on “Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Curry”
These are one of my favorite. It will be great to try making these in Instant pot. Thanks for sharing this recipe.