Jump to recipe
Soft and tender on the inside with a crispy exterior, these Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Wings are the perfect spicy snack for any occasion.
A few years ago, (way before Covid and masks was a thing), the hubby and I had gone out with some friends to a bar. They had buffalo cauliflower wings there which for me was a relatively new thing. I definitely fell in love at first bite. I have this addiction to spice and those wings definitely hit the target. But each bite was crispy and tender at the same time which was a wonder to me.
I spent the last few years trying to get that texture and I’m happy to report I finally have! The trick is in the batter. You have to make a thick batter of flour, milk, and water. Of course I add in a few seasonings to balance out the spicy buffalo sauce. The other trick, to air fry it a few times. Ok I know it sounds tedious but there are different stages to the making this and I promise, it’s worth it. Honestly, you spend more time waiting for them to cook than doing anything else.
Vegan Cauliflower Wings:
For the batter – use almond or other neutral flavored plant based milk. A 1:1 ratio works perfectly.
For the buffalo sauce – use coconut oil or vegan butter.
Gluten Free Cauliflower Wings:
Substitute the flour with gluten free flour. Bob’s Red Mill has a great gluten free blend that you can use.
Looking for more appetizer recipes? Check out some of my favorites:
Bloody Mary Deviled Eggs
Blistered Shishito Peppers
Avocado Cilantro Lime Dipping Sauce
Cranberry Balsamic Glazed Turkey Meatballs
Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
For the Cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c milk**
- 1 c All Purpose Flour**
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the Buffalo Sauce:
- In a bowl, add the flour, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Add in the water and milk and whisk to form a thick batter and make sure there are no lumps.
- Coat air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Dip the florets in the batter and transfer in a single layer to the air fryer basket making sure that the batter doesn't drip.
- Air Fry at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the hot sauce and butter. Whisk on low to medium heat until emulsified.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the cauliflower is done, remove from basket and transfer to a bowl.
- Pour buffalo sauce over it and toss to coat well.
- Return to the air fryer basket and cook at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes until crispy.
- Serve immediately with ranch or blue cheese.
1. Replace milk with a neutral plant based flavor. Almond milk works very well.
2. Replace butter with coconut oil or vegan butter.
**Gluten free option:
1. Replace flour with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Blend.
© 2023 Copyright A Li\'l Bit of Spice
Here are the tools I used for this recipe: